HIM Coding Manager
- Plans, organizes, manages, controls and evaluates the operation of the department.
- Assists in the preparation and review of the departmental budget. Ensures that ongoing statistical and production data is recorded and maintained to complement the budget process.
- Interviews, recommends for hire, train and develop employees. Ensures that the human resources of the department are managed according to Hospital policies and procedures with an emphasis on personal and professional counseling and development.
- Prepares performance evaluations and initiates prescribed disciplinary procedures as necessary with input from the Director.
- Prepares and assigns work schedules, as well as allocation of duties or work distribution to meet the needs of the department and customers.
- Designs and implements coding policies and procedures to ensure departmental and facility operations comply with state and federal regulations, organizational policy, and compliance/accreditation requirements for contracted payers
- Evaluates inpatient and outpatient coding and abstracting processes in order to verify that departmental practices contribute to accurate, consistent, and timely application of ICD-10 CM and PCS codes, HCPCS and CPT codes
- Plays an instrumental role in setting organizational performance objectives for coding and provides guidance to managers/supervisors to assist them in meeting team and organizational goals
- Creates and maintains performance dashboards and reporting for medical coding areas as required by executive leadership
- Develops and launches coding improvement initiatives based on areas of opportunity identified through audits and other assessments; monitors and contributes to the success of improvement plans
- Works with IT to facilitate updates to existing medical record and coding technology (e.g., computer assisted coding systems) and continually investigates additional solutions that could be leveraged to improve efficiency and accuracy in medical coding
- Assists in organizing the functions of the department so that departmental operation is coordinated with other departments in achievement of Hospital goals.
- Acts independently, when necessary, in maintaining the efficiency and effectiveness of the department and may make decisions to expedite processes to meet various situations.
- Remains current in coding and/or documentation requirements. Suggests coding process improvements for optimal coding reimbursement.
- Assess training needs of physicians and administrative managers on proper documentation and billing practices to maximize revenues.
- Presents educational seminars to large groups of clinical staff.
- May perform other job related duties as requested or required.
- Previous knowledge and experience with medical records software programs and applications.
- Interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills in order to interact with all levels of hospital staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in health information management, health services administration, health sciences, or related field required
- At least five years of experience in inpatient and outpatient coding
- At least three years of managerial experience in the coding, medical records, or health information management setting
- Sorian, Cerner or Epic experience preferred
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
- Credentialed as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Certified Coding Specialist preferred or eligible.
Please send resume to: email@example.com