Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Temp to Perm
- Comp: $55-$65/hr DOE
- Hours: Part time or Full time
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) position provides consultation and support to the clinical team regarding mental health/substance abuse diagnosis and treatment, psychopharmacology consultation and education. The position provides mental health and addiction treatment at the request of the primary care providers. The position coordinates mental health/addiction treatment services in accordance with the treatment plan and works collaboratively with the clinical team to manage or co-manage complex behavioral health cases. This position is responsible for providing psychopharmacology services for patients of the Behavioral Health Department. The PMHNP functions under the general supervision of the Director of Behavioral Health.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assess the mental and behavioral health concerns of patients referred to Behavioral health, in consultation with the primary care provider.
- Provide education and support to primary care providers on psychopharmacology and diagnosis of mental health issues for the care plans of patients with behavioral health needs.
- Perform psychiatric evaluations and mental status examinations for Behavioral Health patients.
- Assume responsibility for the prescribing and monitoring of all medications prescribed.
- Conduct medication follow-up visits for all patients evaluated (unless the psychiatric evaluation is for psychopharmacology consultation only, in which case the PCP would continue follow up care).
- Facilitate behavioral health services for patients, including individual and family support, psychopharmacology assessments, medication monitoring and management, behavioral assessments and monitoring, education regarding medication, side effects and behavioral health resources.
- Participate in integration efforts of the Behavioral health department programs including addiction services and Primary Care, including warm hand-offs.
- Participate in quality assurance performance improvement projects and utilization review activities.
- Collaborate with the Behavioral Health Team in organizing and/or leading multidisciplinary team meetings that review mental illness, social services, medication management, and other such topics relevant to direct patient care.
- Attending weekly staff meetings and case reviews.
- Contribute to care plan of clients.
- Participate in ongoing staff development training to maintain and improve personal knowledge base.
- Make referrals as appropriate for the evaluation of non-psychiatric, physical health problems by maintaining communication with clients and PCPs.
- Maintain clinical documentation and record keeping in compliance with department and licensing regulations.
- Ensure accurate diagnostic coding using ICD 10/DSM 5.
- Comply with all MA Department of Public Health licensure regulations 244 CMR 4.0, including maintaining prescriptive practice guidelines with a qualified physician.
- Participate in committees and working groups as assigned by the Director.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Director.
Minimum Basic Knowledge:
- Desire to work with people with developmental, intellectual, physical and mental disabilities.
- Mental health and crisis intervention experience including knowledge of emergency psychiatric services.
- Strong commitment to community psychiatry.
- Ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary team and providers in a primary care setting.
- Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish or Cape Verdean Creole preferred.
- Familiarity with Epic electronic health record system preferred.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Master of Science in Nursing as PMHCNS, Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, or equivalent conferring eligibility to practice and prescribe as APRN in Massachusetts.
- 1 year of clinical experience in the areas of mental health, counseling, substance use, psychiatric evaluations, and psychopharmacology preferred.
- Actively licensed to practice as APRN in Massachusetts.
- Active Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration Number preferred.
- Active DEA Registration Number.