Perform accounting support functions for commercial properties consisting of office, retail and garage space. This position requires close coordination with the Property Manager, Department Managers, corporate accounting, AR/AP, lease administration and the Systems Manager. The Property Accountant reports to the Accounting Manager, while accepting direction from the Senior Property Accountant.
- Maintain GAAP accrual general ledgers.
- Prepare and process monthly journal entries. Produce monthly financials according to the established schedule and analyze results. Communicate concerns to the Accounting Manager.
- Prepare and maintain monthly workpapers as described in the standardized workpaper model. This includes reconciling monthly bank statements.
- Review income, expense, deferred leasing and capital purchases for accurate coding and payment. Resolve issues with Property Manager or other departments as necessary.
- Support the budget and reprojection process, including analysis.
- Perform special projects as needed and provide support to the accounting and property management teams.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and participate in reporting and other meetings as required by property management and or accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with 3.0 minimum GPA.
- Basic understanding of general ledger activity, preference with Yardi application.
- Proficiency with Excel and other MS applications.
- 2-4 years of accounting experience, two years within the commercial real estate industry. Alternatively, 2-4 years of public accounting experience with real estate clients.
- CPA a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Must be a team oriented, problem solver.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external teams.
The company is a leading U.S. alternative asset management company, unique for its focus on commercial real estate (CRE) and related businesses. The company’s vertical integration is strengthened by more than 600 real estate professionals in over 30 offices nationwide who manage $32 billion in assets under management and leverage more than 30 years of institutional experience in buying, selling, financing and operating CRE. The company benefits from a scalable platform, a deep and experienced management team and a diversity of real estate strategies across its client companies.
Recently, they have been recognized by The Boston Globe as a “Top Place to Work,” by Fortune magazine as one of the “100 Fastest Growing Companies,” by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as an “ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year,” by Boston Business Journal as the “Fastest Growing Middle Market Company in Massachusetts” and ranked in the Top Ten on Commercial Property Executive’s Top Commercial Property Management Companies. The company is headquartered in Newton, MA and was founded in 1986.